Mittwoch, 19. September 2012

Reading Project: Virginia Woolf's Diaries



I have loved Virginia Woolf's writing since I participated in a seminar about her novels in my first year of University and a large part of my graduation thesis was about Mrs Dalloway, Orlando and Woolf's relationship with Vita Sackville-West. I think it was To the Lighthouse that really hooked me with its wonderful descriptions of family dynamics and the coastal landscape; I have always found her writings to be unnervingly close to the reality of living a life.

Now I have embarked upon a very ambitious and very time-consuming reading project. I am going to read the five volumes of her diary that were published by the Hogarth Press in the 1970s and 80s and while I am reading these I try to read or re-read all the novels, non-fiction and short fiction that she writes about in her diaries. I have started some time ago with the diaries but I have just now decided to make this into a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig, probably exhausting project. The local University has an excellent library and I have found quite a lot of material of Woolf's I haven't read before (sigh). So I guess some quotes will be popping up now and again:

Life is not a series of gig lamps symmetrically arranged;
life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding
us from the beginning of consciousness to the end.
Virginia Woolf: The Common Reader. First Series.

Wish me luck!


1 Kommentar:

  1. Na dann viel Spaß, du. Du weißt ja ich hole mir immer neuerdings DVDs aus der lokalen Bib. Ich versuche jetzt im Herbst endlich deine Geschichte weiterzulesen.

    AntwortenLöschen